Function of Personnel Branch
In order to overcome the personnel problems faced by Railway administration as well as Railway employees a personnel branch has been set up at Head quarters level of each zonal Railway and also at the divisional level including in Railway workshop. The branch at Head quarters is placed under the supervision of chief personnel officer and in division and workshop under the supervision of Sr. Personnel officer and personnel
1. Arranging recruitment, selection and creation of post, training of staff, promotions and demotion, transfer, suspension, discharges, granting retirement benefits.
2. Payment of pay, allowances and incentive, hours confirmation, maintenance of seniority, record of service, leave account, grant of educational assistance and medical facilities.
3. Dealing with recognized union, arranging meeting of permanent negotiating, PREM and JCM, settling the grievances of staff.
4. Dealing with the provisions of various laws and acts. Such as industrial disputes act, factory act, workman’s compensation act, payment of wages act, minimum wages act, HOER etc. D&A rules and conduct rules, CAT matters.
5. Interpretation of rules and orders received from Railway board, if necessary with the constitution of Account Branch.
6. Dealing with welfare matters concerning staff, such as provision of residential accommodations, lantern holiday homes, consumer’s societies, school, clubs, Institutes etc.
7. All other maters concerning Railway employees and circulating all orders and Railway board’s letters concerning personnel function to all departments and unions.
Personnel department is always made equip itself with all rules and regulations for expeditious disposal of grievances of staff and cases affecting other likewise matters.
PERSONNEL MANAGEMENT AND OBJECTIVES OF PERSONNEL DEPARTMENT
From a small beginning in 1853, Indian Railway Network today, is the largest Public Sector Undertaking in our country where around 16 lakhs of employees are working. With the increase in the size of the Railways and growth consciousness of the workers, Men have become the most important factor in Railways. Unlike Machines, Human beings act and react favorably or otherwise when engaged in diverse working conditions and in tiresome jobs.
This may be for want of scope of advancement in one’s career, for want of due attention from supervisors in matters connected with service conditions or while facing situations, favorable or unfavorable off the job conditions. Background of all these actions and reactions, favorable or unfavorable is personnel problems. In order to face the problems with Human approach, it is desirable that a Personnel Department manned by experts on personnel matters would function in big organizations.
Functions of Personnel Management
- Manpowerr planning.
- Training and development.
- Performance Appraisal.
- Promotions and demotions.
- Guidance on disciplinary matters.
- Wage and salary administration.
- Industrial peace.
- Grievances redressal and welfare activities.
- Incentives and financial aids.
- Settlement and pension.
- Arranging and maintaining post retirement benefits.
Personnel managers control the human factor in an Industry intelligently for getting the best result from the workers by developing their capabilities. Personnel Manager aims at creating a team spirit and sense of discipline amongst workers.
Personnel Officers will relieve the departmental officers from the workload in personnel matters to the extent possible. However, the departmental officer should have the main say in the placement of workers to ensure best utilization, economy and efficiency.
The Personnel Officer is also receptive to suggestions given by Departmental Officers on transfer to maintain efficiency and discipline. The Personnel Officers and Departmental Officers are jointly responsible for the efficient working of the administration.
Although the Departmental officers are relieved of Personnel work to a great extent after setting up of Personnel Department, they should also maintain close touch with their employees, receive their grievances on personnel matters and arrange to dispose of the same with the help of Personnel Officer duly keeping in view the rules and regulations laid down.
The Personnel Officers are also Welfare Officers who will concentrate on various Welfare activities such as promotion of sports, management of Holiday Homes, Institutes, Co-operative societies and canteens etc. Personnel Officer should see that the legitimate interest of the workers is protected and none of the workers feel that his needs remain unattended to. Personnel Officers should take utmost care and interest in maintaining Industrial peace, keeping good relations with trade unions and help in maintaining congenial atmosphere for smooth working.